Emmett Till Conspiracy Theory Debunked
Now, both the FBI and a grand jury has no credible basis for the claim that fourteen or more were involved in the crime, much less than five are alive. An article by Jerry Mitchell (one of the few journalists to ask hard questions) in U.S.A. Today , accurately describes the theory as a"legend."
Up to 14 people were involved in Till's abduction and killing, and five of them are still alive.
This idea surfaced at the time the Justice Department opened its probe in 2004.
Filmmaker Keith Beauchamp, who made the 2005 documentary, The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till, said he found this information in his research. Those still living could be charged today, he said.
The FBI was unable to prove this claim, according to the agency's report.
Beito said the most people mentioned in 1955 news accounts were six — four white men and two black men.
In his testimony in 1955, Mose Wright, Emmett Till's uncle, said that in the early morning hours on the day of the killing, Milam and Bryant were not alone. He said someone in the truck with a"lighter" voice identified Till as the one they were looking for.
Wright also described what he believed was a black man standing in the shadows.
The FBI report details an interview with Willie Reed, who testified in the 1955 trial. He said he saw five men with Till the morning of the slaying — three white and two black. He also testified that he heard Till being beaten.
Reed has since told Beito the two black men were Levi"Too Tight" Collins and Joe Willie Hubbard. Collins is now dead, Beito said."Another legend is that Collins committed suicide after this out of remorse," Beito said."That's not true. He died of natural causes."
It is unknown if Hubbard is still alive, Beito said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity