More Noted Things
William Chafe for: Duke lacrosse players = murderers of Emmett Till
Ellen Goodman for: Global Warming deniers = Holocaust deniers
William Kristol for: Barack Obama = Stephen A. Douglas
Walter Olson for: Duke lacrosse players = Scottsboro boys
Hat tip to Robert Farley and Scott Lemieux at Lawyers, Guns, and Money for their nominations. More fodder for bad analogies (and worse): there's a new rape allegation at Duke. Thanks to Chris Richardson at Outside Report for the tip.
Elizabeth Schmidt,"Erasing Slavery," NY Times, 11 February, reviews Saidiya Hartman's Lose Your Mother: A Journey Along the Atlantic Slave Route. Thanks to Mary Dudziak at Legal History Blog for the tip.
The Manhattan Institute's Heather Mac Donald double dips at City Journal and Front Page Rag to call the choice of Drew Gilpin Faust as president of Harvard a"Faustian Bargain". Faust is a respected historian, an admired teacher, and an experienced administrator, so fuggedaboudet. See: Jay Mathews,"Seeds of Leadership on a Va. Farm," Washington Post, 12 February. Congratulations to Dean Faust and the University.
At View from the Right, Carol Ianonne interviews John Agresto about his experience as American advisor for Higher Education and Scientific Research in Iraq from September 2003 through June 2004. Thanks to Andrew Sullivan for the tip.
Recommended:"Flat Soccer Balls to Iraq," Rants from the Rookery, 6 February; and"‘The Best General Around'," Cunning Realist, 11 February. Thanks to Ahistoricality and Chris Bray at Historiblog-ography for the tip.
Finally, on CNN, Jack Cafferty asks Wolf Blitzer:"Is Anna Nichole still dead?"
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 2/12/2007
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone used that line, but I had hoped that it would be longer....
I ran across a comparison between the Iraq insurgencies and the Boxer Rebellion the other day that I'm still trying to decide whether it's brilliant or absurd.
- Support grows for Smithsonian museum of women’s history
- History Lesson: How the Democrats pushed Obamacare through the Senate
- Oldest women’s college in US – Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia – seeks to atone for Ku Klux Klan’s legacy
- Ancient Egyptian Writing: New Symbols Reveal Development Of Hieroglyphics
- Dr. Suess museum chided for failing to address head-on his racist statements during WW2
- Lonnie Bunch says the nooses found at the Smithsonian recently show why black people cannot get over the past
- Andrew Bacevich bemoans the loss of authority of historians
- It’s Time for Historians of Slavery to Listen to Economists
- Researcher: "Actually, Yes It Is a Discovery If You Find Something in an Archive That No One Knew Was There."
- The Trump team is obsessing over Thucydides, the ancient historian who wrote a seminal tract on war