Some Recommended Things
Mary Beard,"No Sex Please, We're Drunk: Rape Ancient and Modern," A Don's Life, 29 January, puts the issues in historical perspective.
Samuel G. Freedman,"History Teacher Becomes Podcast Celebrity," NY Times, 31 January, is the story of Lars Brownworth, a history teacher at the Stonybrook School. His podcasts, Twelve Byzantine Rulers, covering Byzantium's 1200 years, are heard by 140,000 listeners across the world and among the most popular on the net.
Miriam Burstein,"Scholars & Students: A Compendium of Professorial Magic," Little Professor, 30 January, scales the spells we work on our students' product.
Papers on blogging given by John Holbo, Bitch Ph.D., and Scott Eric Kaufman at the recent MLA convention; and Adam Kotsko,"Prolegomena to Any Future Meta-Blogging ...," The Weblog, 28 January, the most recent statement by blogging's premier theoretician.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history