Yet More Recommended Things
Nicholas Kristoff,"Et tu, George?" NY Times, 24 January (time-limited in front of the firewall), suggests that the tale has already been told by Thucydides and Herman Melville.
Scott McLemee,"Facing the Question," Inside Higher Ed, 25 January, reviews two recently re-issued books on the Franco-Algerian war: Alistair Horne's A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962 and Henri Alleg, The Question.
David Garrow and Scott Gerber have different assessments of PBS's documentary, The Supreme Court, and Jeffrey Rosen's companion book, The Supreme Court: The Personalities and Rivalries That Defined America, at Mary Dudziak's Legal History Blog.
Finally, in this Google video, Stan Goetz, John Coltrane and Oscar Peterson perform Rifftide in a 1960 concert in Dusseldorf, Germany. Thanks to Linda K. Brown on H-Afro-Am.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Tourism spot for Colonial Williamsburg shocks some New Yorkers during Super Bowl 50 for use of 9/11 attack footage
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- American Historical Association protests Turkey’s crackdown on historians and other academics who signed a a petition critical of the Turkish government
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948