More Noted Things
Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.,"Folly's Antidote," NY Times, 1 January, argues that"... history is to the nation as memory is to the individual. As persons deprived of memory become disoriented and lost, not knowing where they have been and where they are going, so a nation denied a conception of the past will be disabled in dealing with its present and its future." I'm less persuaded that"Many signs point to a growing historical consciousness among the American people."
Steve Paulson,"Seeing the light – of science," Salon, 2 January, features an interview with the University of Wisconsin's Ron Numbers, one of the United States' leading historians of science. Thanks to David Parker at Another History Blog for the tip.
Why has Jim Russell, chairman of the history department at the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, not fired Fred Ruhlman as an adjunct instructor in the department? Ruhlman's"doctorate" is from"the American University of London", a notorious diploma mill (scroll down); and his book, Captain Henry Wirz and Andersonville Prison, was withdrawn from publication by the University of Tennessee Press because of its plagiarism from William Marvel's Andersonville: The Last Depot. Thanks to Margaret Soltan at University Diaries, who looks at Ruhlman's evaluations at RateMyProfessor, for the tip. F*i*r*e t*h*e m*a*n n*o*w, Jim.
Finally, the history department at Emory University has been notified that Elizabeth Fox-Genovese died yesterday at about 11:45 a.m. Betsey had been ill for several years. Plans for a funeral and/or memorial service are incomplete. Rest in peace.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges