A Happy New Year to All Our Readers!
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 1/1/2007
>History's like that: everyone thinks >they can play.
Same thing in philosophy, only worse!
But let me second the happy new year's wishes to all L&P readers!
Jonathan Dresner - 1/1/2007
History's like that: everyone thinks they can play.
I've always liked the way these theories skate around the Asian historical record, which has multiple connection points to Western history, but no gaps. (neither does Western history, but that's another matter....)
Sudha Shenoy - 1/1/2007
Isn't it extraordinary that there are no professional historians anywhere -- as this exercise demonstrates. There _are_ professional natural scientists, of course: no one has yet tried to disprove accepted scientific findings -- eg, the earth goes round the sun (NB, as if scientists couldn't use their eyes!), the earth is round. But denying & refuting _anything_ historical? Piece of cake.
Jesse Walker - 1/1/2007
Not just invented: He says the Roman emperors, Israelite kings, British kings, and czars were all the same people. Definitely my all-time favorite crank theory.
Roderick T. Long - 1/1/2007
If you think thats wild, check out the theories of Anatoly Fomenko (see here, here, and here), who argues that all history prior to around the 10th century is invented.
Still, my favourite theory along these lines is Bertrand Russells, that the universe was created 5 minutes ago, complete with memory and fossil remains. I call it Very Young Earth Creationism.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history