A Happy New Year to All Our Readers!
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 1/1/2007
>History's like that: everyone thinks >they can play.
Same thing in philosophy, only worse!
But let me second the happy new year's wishes to all L&P readers!
Jonathan Dresner - 1/1/2007
History's like that: everyone thinks they can play.
I've always liked the way these theories skate around the Asian historical record, which has multiple connection points to Western history, but no gaps. (neither does Western history, but that's another matter....)
Sudha Shenoy - 1/1/2007
Isn't it extraordinary that there are no professional historians anywhere -- as this exercise demonstrates. There _are_ professional natural scientists, of course: no one has yet tried to disprove accepted scientific findings -- eg, the earth goes round the sun (NB, as if scientists couldn't use their eyes!), the earth is round. But denying & refuting _anything_ historical? Piece of cake.
Jesse Walker - 1/1/2007
Not just invented: He says the Roman emperors, Israelite kings, British kings, and czars were all the same people. Definitely my all-time favorite crank theory.
Roderick T. Long - 1/1/2007
If you think thats wild, check out the theories of Anatoly Fomenko (see here, here, and here), who argues that all history prior to around the 10th century is invented.
Still, my favourite theory along these lines is Bertrand Russells, that the universe was created 5 minutes ago, complete with memory and fossil remains. I call it Very Young Earth Creationism.
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize