Quiz: Any other veep ever testify in court?
And now the media want to know ... would Cheney be the first to testify in court while a sitting veep?
I know of no other veep called to testify; Aaron Burr of course was indicted while a sitting veep for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel.
At least 8 presidents testified in court or answered questions put to them in a case under consideration by a court:
1. WHILE PRESIDENT: Jefferson was subpoened in the Aaron Burr case.
2. WHILE PRESIDENT: Monroe answered questions about a court martial case.
3. WHILE PRESIDENT: Grant filed a deposition in the case of his chief of staff, Orville Babcock, who was accused of fraud in the infamous Whiskey Ring. (Babcock was acquitted.)
4. WHILE PRESIDENT: Nixon answered questions put to him by lawyers for Ehrlichman. As an ex-president he testified before a grand jury investigating Watergate. He also testified on behalf of Mark Felt, who was later identified as Deep Throat.
5. WHILE PRESIDENT: Ford gave videotaped testimony in the trial of Squeaky Fromme.
6. WHILE PRESIDENT: Carter gave videotaped testimony against a Georgia state senator accused of corruption.
7. Reagan testified as an ex-president in the Iran-contra trial of Admiral Poindexter.
8. WHILE PRESIDENT: Bill Clinton testified before the grand jury convened by Kenneth Starr.
comments powered by Disqus
- Steve Fraser says Trump is sui generis
- Yale’s Timothy Snyder denounces the Polish government for sabotaging the Museum of the Second World War
- The Historian Whitewashing Ukraine’s Past
- Andrew Roberts wins $250,000 prize from the conservative Bradley Foundation
- Daniel Aaron, Critic and Historian Who Pioneered American Studies, Dies at 103