Chris Hayward R.I.P.
I had to say something about the passing of Chris Hayward, who was partly responsible for two of my childhood heroes, Rocky and Bullwinkle. I never missed a show and was proud that the main characters lived in my home state as residents of Frostbite Falls, Minnesota.
As I grew older, my affection for the duo grew even stronger when I came to understand the subversive nature of the show. I vaguely remember one episode that featured a visit to Earth by Martians. As the Martians made their rounds, the camera repeatedly cut away to a U.S. Senator who declared to the press that their visit was"a Communist plot." After hearing this several times, Bullwinkle finally asked,"Why do you think that this is a Communist plot?" Without missing a beat, the Senator responded,"I think that everything is a Communist plot."
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 12/23/2006
Could have been. That darn cartoon channel never plays it when I can see it so as to refresh my memory.
Gary McGath - 12/20/2006
I don't recall any Martians in any Rocky and Bullwinkle episode. Probably it was the Moon Men, Cloyd and Gidney.
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day
- Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830