The Theocons: Secular America Under Siege By Damon Linker
[From the publisher] George W. Bush has gone out of his way to blur the line between religion and politics in America-this is acknowledged by his strongest supporters no less than by his most strident critics. The most common explanation of the president's religious agenda points to the rise of evangelical Protestantism. Yet as Damon Linker demonstrates in his groundbreakingbook, an exclusive focus on the role of evangelicals misses the heart of the story. At its core, the Bush administration's overt religiosity represents the triumph of an ideological movement that for the past several decades has devoted itself to fashioning a theocratic governing philosophy for the United States-a governing philosophy rooted in Roman Catholicism. Led by Father Richard John Neuhaus, this group of"theoconservatives" has actively sought to roll back the division of church and state in American life. Their aim is to transform the political and cultural landscape of the country to such an extent that the separation of church and state as we have known it will cease to exist.
The election of 2000 brought the theocons to the peak of political power and influence in Washington. Their ideas inspire the most controversial and divisive policies of the Bush administration-policies whose ultimate goal is nothing less than the end of secular politics in America.
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize