Smug, Self-Satisfied Liberals and "Borat"
In the Borat movie there is nothing, from one end to the other, that is the least bit threatening to the Western liberal point of view. It's all about what what racist, homophobic, antisemitic jerks all the people in the world who are not Western liberals -- from Middle-Eastern Muslims to red state Americans -- are. If you are a Western liberal, this movie is very favorable to your Self and very unfavorable to the Other. How stupid it is, how nasty, how unlike you and me!
Some of the liberal reviewers of Borat said the movie made them think. What it made them think, of course, was that their old opinions are even more true than they always thought they were. What it made me think is how similar Western liberalism can be to the narrow ideologies that it piously denounces.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 11/28/2006
That was, indeed, what I meant.
Robert L. Campbell - 11/28/2006
If the Borat movie is a Rorschach test for pundits, that presumably means that they will see in it whatever their unconscious hopes and fears prompt them to see.
David T. Beito - 11/28/2006
What do you mean?
Jonathan Dresner - 11/27/2006
that what it really is, is a rorshach test for pundits.
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Colorado school board, worried about the new AP framework, wants to make sure high school kids are taught patriotic history
- Professor premieres animated short on Pueblo revolt on PBS
- Texas Moves To Override New AP History Course