Borat and Bob Barr
I went into the theater with extremely high anticipation having viewed television clips of Borat such this one and the fact that the film review site Rotten Tomatoes gave it an astronomical 96% favorable rating. Not only did the movie far exceed my expectations as to how humorous it would be, it had other virtues too. The music for various scenes was very well chosen enhancing the experience and the visuals were sometimes quite stunning, especially the parts in his home country. In addition, behind the laughter there is some perceptive social commentary going on. Sure, there is a character on screen spouting some of the most vile anti-Semitism ever heard but this same character also washes his face in the hotel room toilet.
Maybe you are a little depressed about the senseless deaths and maiming of our soldiers in Iraq, not to mention the public money pouring down that particular rat hole at such an alarming rate. Perhaps the fact that very few people seem to care that war on people who use certain kinds drugs continues to eat away at everything we hold of value as Americans has got you down. Certainly, the substitution of despicable and deceptive personal attack for reasoned discourse on the issues by so many candidates running in the upcoming election would discourage anyone. If you are having any such feelings going to see Borat could lighten your mood considerably, at least until you read the next morning’s paper.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity