Real Wages Fail to Match a Rise in Productivity
Yesterday's headline in the Boston Globe:
Pay outpaces productivity; inflation feared
Then there's today's headine in the Washington Post:
Jobless Rate Is Lowest Since '01
As Don Boudreaux of Cafe Hayek points out here, this month's fear that wages are outpacing productivity (and threatening inflation) apparently offsets August's fear that producitvity was outpacing wages. Funny, isn't it?
Cross-posted at Free Association.
comments powered by Disqus
Sheldon Richman - 11/5/2006
Agreed. That's why we should not let statistics take our eye on the ball: ridding the economic system of all state privilege. We get bogged down in numbers to our peril because of the implied acceptance of the legitimacy of the reigning system.
Robert Higgs - 11/4/2006
In addition, bear in mind--as hardly anybody ever does--that when the government's statistical measures are routinely revised in a month or a quarter or a year, the short-term changes that occasioned the original media panic will be seen in many cases to have had no reality at all--if indeed such data ever have much connection to economic reality.
Alternative hypothesis 1: producing this statistical crap is a jobs program for employees of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Federal Reserve System, Commerce Department, etc.
Alternative hypothesis 2: producing these scare stories is a jobs program for reporters and other workers at the newspapers and the television networks.
Alternative hypothesis 3: taking such reports seriously is a jobs program for people who have nothing important or interesting to do.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges