War on Food Choice
I wonder, though, if Bob Barr realizes that the current impulse for more government control of the food supply is in fact a mere extension of the war on people who use certain kinds of drugs? The arguments for restricting food choices are philosophically exactly the same as those for restricting drug choices. It is worth mentioning that after the passage of the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act one of the first things the Bureau of Chemistry head, Harvey Wiley, did was to unilaterally prohibit coca as a food additive. The result, a myriad of harmless products were denied to the people that had enjoyed them.
comments powered by Disqus
- Hero Marine Dad Will Unleash Hell Itself If Daughter’s World History Class Says Muslims Are Real
- Historians Against the War joins peace activists in pressing Congress to support a diplomatic solutions to conflict with Iran over nukes
- Despite new hires, Yale history department retains vacancies
- African-American Professor: Reagan Did More To Help Black Education Than Obama
- Turning West, Historians Take a Wider View of Early America