Things Noted Here and There
Sean Wilentz,"A Less Perfect Union," NY Times, 10 September, and Jonathan Yardley,"After the War Between the States, the South Set Out to Rise Again, By Any Means Necessary," Washington Post, 10 September, review Nicholas Lemann's Redemption: The Last Battle of the Civil War.
Tim Rutten,"ABC Follows a Path to Shame," LA Times, 9 September, surveys the wreckage.
Alan Wolfe,"Defending the Ph.D.'s," NY Times, 10 September, reviews Michael Bérubé's What's Liberal About the Liberal Arts.
Finally, at Patahistory, Dave Davisson is thinking large and thinking small. In his Patahistory Manifesto, he declares an end and a beginning of history. And, he invites your reactions to it. Two earlier manifestoes: Manan Ahmed's The Polyglot Manifesto and Sage Ross's History of Science Manifesto.
comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 9/10/2006
What a gaff! Thanks for the reminder.
David Davisson - 9/10/2006
Don't forget Manan Ahmed's Polyglot Manifesto!
Ahmed's piece was one of the sources that informed my thinking as I was composing the Patahistory manifesto.
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges