Some Notes for Labor Day
John Stauffer,"Slavery and the Legacies of the American Revolution," NY Sun, 30 August, reviews Simon Schama's Rough Crossings, François Furstenberg's In the Name of the Father, and David Brion Davis's Inhuman Bondage.
Tony Judt,"Goodbye to All That," NYRB, 26 September, reviews Leszek Kolakowski, Main Currents of Marxism: The Founders, the Golden Age, the Breakdown, Kolakowski, My Correct Views on Everything, and Jacques Attali, Karl Marx ou l'esprit du monde. There is a long interview with Judt at"'Wie die Beamten des Mittelalters'," Stern, n.d. Thanks to Alfredo Perez at Political Theory Daily Review and Nathanael Robinson for the tips.
Fredric Jameson,"First Impressions," LRB, 7 September, reviews Slavoj Zizek, The Parallax View. Thanks to Manan Ahmed for the tip.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history