Will the New Jim Crow "Survivor" Revive the "One-Drop Rule?"
“I think we have gotten to a point where it is politically incorrect to talk about race,” reader Jim Carmignani noted on the message board. “Perhaps this will help rejuvenate conversation and understanding.”
If Carmignani wants a" conversation" on race, this scenario certainly will start it off with some intriguing questions. What will be done about people of mixed black/white ancestry? Will the producers of"Survivor" assign them to the black team on the basis of the"one-drop" rule as used in the Homer Plessy case? Will the segregation be extended to separate drinking fountains and restrooms? Will contestants who drop out be considered"traitors to their race?"
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 8/25/2006
A word of clarification. In my view, the network should have every right to do this but I was wondering if racially exclusive teams would put it in technical violation of civil rights laws.
David T. Beito - 8/25/2006
Mmmm...wouldn't that violate the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
Otto M. Kerner - 8/25/2006
I don't get it. Who cares? Who is harmed by this? As for "What will be done about people of mixed black/white ancestry?", the obvious thing to do is just not have them on the show this year. They can wait until next year.
Jason T. Kuznicki - 8/25/2006
This is so obnoxious I almost can't believe it.
I would start a boycott, but I never watched the show to begin with.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't