Quote of the Day
Isabel Paterson, New York Herald Tribune Weekly Book Review 7, October 5, 1947, 18.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 7/23/2006
Sorry for the delay but I was at a conference which kept me busy.
She was discussing slavery. The book under review was Allen Tate, ed., A Southern Vanguard, a collection of essays.
I'm glad you called this to my attention because I hadn't noticed that one of the essays was by none other than Marshall McLuhan. The essays praised the pre-Civil War South as humanistic and traditional and criticized the North as commercial.
Basically, Paterson was arguing, contra the essays, that the slavery was "commercial," albeit in a perverse way.
Mark Brady - 7/20/2006
What was Isabel Paterson talking about? And what book(s) was she reviewing?
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Tourism spot for Colonial Williamsburg shocks some New Yorkers during Super Bowl 50 for use of 9/11 attack footage
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- American Historical Association protests Turkey’s crackdown on historians and other academics who signed a a petition critical of the Turkish government
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948