It's a free download. If you want a slick, bound copy, you can order one for ten bucks, and you'll also get a copy of Gene Healy and Tim Lynch's paper on the constitutional record of George W. Bush (call it"Cato's left-flank package").
We're also launching an interactive map to accompany the paper. And I frankly think the map is what's going to convince most people of the scope of this problem. The map plots every botched raid I found in my research, with a description of what happened and a list of sources. You can sort the map by type of incident. So, for example, if you wanted to see only those raids where an innocent person was killed, it would look like this. If you wanted to see raids where a nonviolent offender was killed (a recreational gambler or potsmoker, for example), it would look like this. If you wanted to see all of the"wrong door" raids where no one was killed, it would look like this.
The map is also searchable by year, state, and type of incident.
Cato's news release on the paper is here.
comments powered by Disqus
Amy H. Sturgis - 7/19/2006
Congratulations - well done indeed!
Robert Higgs - 7/18/2006
The fact that Americans put up with--nay, even demand and take pride in--these shameful Gestapo methods of law enforcement mocks every claim that this is a free society. On the contrary, it is obviously a police state in the most hideously visible way. Germans and Russians might once have feared the "midnight knock on the door." Present-day Americans must live in fear of the midnight stun-grenade burst in their bedrooms, followed immediately by the break-in of ski-masked, heavily armed thugs with the itchy trigger fingers. And all for what? Clearly the so-called war on drugs deserves most of the blame for this vile police activity--just one more way in which the government drives a stake through the heart of liberty.
Freest country on earth, they say. May heaven help the others.
Sheldon Richman - 7/17/2006
Congratulations, Radley, on your good work!
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans