U.S. efforts to reshape the Middle East are proceeding nicely, just as many of us expected. The key to misunderstanding the region is to ignore the context, namely, the long-standing Israeli violation of the rights of Palestinians with the full backing of the U.S government. This doesn't justify indiscriminate violence, but it does shed light on much that happens there. When we abhor the continuing abominable treatment of Palestinians the way we abhor the shelling of Israelis in northern Israel, we will have made some significant progress.
Cross-posted at Free Association.
comments powered by Disqus
E. Simon - 7/18/2006
So I suppose the continuing imposition of suicide murders, the much more horrific deprivation of rights by one's own leaders, incitement of the Jewish other, violence as a political option of first resort, rejection of more significant political realities and reasonable solutions to them, are all much less important than is the "original sin" of a powerful nation's existence, and not a less powerful nation's lack of will to proclaim its existence in a conventionally acceptable manner.
I think I can see where this is going.
Sheldon Richman - 7/18/2006
It is the context, but not the only factor. Israel's treatment of its neighbors is also a factor, but that is related to the initial and continuing imposition on the Palestinians.
E. Simon - 7/17/2006
You honestly think the over-riding, misunderstood context of this conflict is Israel's treatment of the Palestinians?
Yasir Arafat is laughing in his grave at you.
And in a few years, if not months or even weeks, so will be Sheikh Nasrallah.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity