Welcome to the pasts that never were. Alternative History is an examination of the history that didn't happen, an attempt to look with fresh eyes at our past through the filter of unfulfilled possibilities. The premise of this website is that nothing is predestined, even if some outcomes are a great deal more likely than others. But all us little human critters have the ability to make choices... and those choices matter.
This website includes a listing of excellent links to additional alternative history sites, gives a selection of articles regarding different paths that history could have taken, and provides a discussion forum for visitors to the Alternative History home page.
comments powered by Disqus
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize