THE RIGHT TO KILL BURGLARS IN BRITAIN
"If listeners of the Today programme could introduce a new law to Britain, it would be one allowing them to kill an intruder in their home should the need arise.
That was the surprise - and, in the programme's own word, controversial - choice of listeners who voted for the piece of legislation they would most like to see in the statute book.
The audience for the Radio 4 programme were asked to put forward ideas that had a real chance of becoming law. Five were shortlisted and more than 26,000 took part in the final vote.
The winning idea, announced yesterday, would authorise home-owners to use any means to defend their properties from intruders. It received 37 per cent of the vote.
It narrowly beat a proposed Bill making it mandatory for individuals to offer their organs for transplant after death, unless they specifically opted out."
comments powered by Disqus
- Before the Bus, Rosa Parks Was a Sexual Assault Investigator
- Egypt discovers 3,500-year-old tombs in ancient city of Luxor
- Abolition Day Kicks Off Year-Long Campaign to Commemorate Frederick Douglass in North Carolina
- Memoirs of an Emperor: Hirohito’s Account of World War II Sells for $275,000
- What Happened to the American Boomtown?
- Black South African scholars urged to correct white historians’ distortion
- At Columbia, Three Women, 30 Years and a Pattern of Harassment
- Pakistani Historian Mobarak Haidar says Muslims “have no religious basis to rule Jerusalem”
- AHA Announces Last-Minute Sessions Timed to News Events
- In Australia, historians and artists have turned to cartography to record the widespread killing of Indigenous people