Small Town Victory for Property Rights
Officials believed that Ouray's status as a tourist mecca would be improved if all the buildings resembled a Disney-esque fantasy on Victorian architecture. Lots of gingerbread decorations, that sort of thing. It would be"good for the community" if people obeyed, and thus, all remodeling and new construction would have to conform to a detailed set of specifications to insure" conformity."
What is interesting here, however, is the process. City council sessions are badly attended, and it was clear the advocates of regulation depended on lack of public recognition. I happened in accidentally one day, and was astonished to find the regulation agenda almost on the books, with no public discussion or comment. That's often the way things get done, I've noticed, especially in small towns dominated by semi-dynastic oligarchs from"established" families.
So I published articles in the local newspaper and established a website (www.freeouray.org). It turns out there are plenty of freedom-loving citizens still left in small town America. I pushed hard for a full public vote, and low and behold, one was actually held just last month. And guess what happened? The pro-regulation camp was defeated overwhelmingly!
Just goes to show. When people are tipped off to the loss of their liberties, they do tend to respond. The only place where I've found this rule of thumb does not apply is the university. Faculty members can pretty much be led off to the slaughterhouse without a whimper, if the administrators tell 'em it's for the"good of the community."
But that's another story . . .
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity