18-yr-old = legal/sexual child?
And, yes, I would make the same argument if the sexes were reversed.
comments powered by Disqus
Aster Francesca - 6/9/2006
I think the entire moral premise is ridiculous. The relationship between teacher and student, when spiritually substantial, has an aspect which is inherently akin to eroticism. The fact that such relationships more than occasionally plunge into explicit sexuality in not surprising and should not for itself be scorned.
I suppose Martin Heidegger should have been incarcerated for his relationship with Hannah Arendt.
Paul Noonan - 6/7/2006
In every state in the US a prison or jail guard who has sex with an inmate is considered guilty of rape regardless of the sex of the guard or inmate or the age of either party. (I know this law is in effect in every state because within the last 2 weeks I read somewhere that Vermont had become the last state to adopt this law.) I think this is a sensible and proper measure given the power disparity between a prisoner and a guard.
I don't think it is necessary to criminalize consensual sex between a teacher and a high school student who has reached the age of consent. I agree with the other poster that such a matter can adequately be dealt with by depriving the teacher of his/her license to teach in public schools.
This matter points up a disconnect in our thinking of what milestone constitutes reaching adulthood. In a strictly legal sense it's reaching one's 18th birthday. However, culturally graduation from high school (which, of course can occur either before or after one's 18th birthday) is of equal or greater importance.
Mark Brady - 6/6/2006
Agreed completely. That said, I can understand that most parents would be concerned if a teacher is engaged in a sexual relationship with their child at school. The way to handle this, of course, is for the school to make it a disciplinary offense for a teacher to engage in such a relationship with a student. It is not necessary to criminalize this sort of conduct.
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- Yale’s Beinecke Library Buys Vast Collection of Lincoln Photos
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed