Oh, But They Will
Criteria for selection:"The lyrics must convey a conservative idea or sentiment, such as skepticism of government or support for traditional values.""Skepticism about government"?! Oh, my side...
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 5/25/2006
Ok, here's the list. This link is some blogpost in which the list is discussed, but if you scroll down, you can see the whole NR article and the complete list. As I suspected, this only works by a strange conflation of meanings of conservatism. A list of actually-libertarian rock songs would be quite different, but there would be some overlap. Here: http://scottpeterson.typepad.com/leftofthedial/2006/05/rockin_the_righ.html
Anthony Gregory - 5/23/2006
Unlike the Old Boss, he has God on his side, and should be trusted with the police state and warfare machine.
Aeon J. Skoble - 5/22/2006
Any dead-tree NR suscribers care to share the list, so we can discuss? Meanwhile, a thought on the very concept: looks like someone over there is blurring the distinction (again!) between libertarian-conservative and authoritarian-conservative. There's no shortage of conservative rock if you take a libertarianish, skeptical-of-government/authority view of conservatism. But that's not necessarily compatible with the other sense of conservative given by the author, or which NR typically operates under. Most of the best anti-government rock is either leftish or anarcho-libertarian. If NR is actually endorsing the Sex Pistols and the Clash, that'll be funny enough. If they endorse the explicit Randian themes in Rush, it'll be even funnier, since NR traditionally despises Rand. Someone please post the list!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity