Oh, But They Will
Criteria for selection:"The lyrics must convey a conservative idea or sentiment, such as skepticism of government or support for traditional values.""Skepticism about government"?! Oh, my side...
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 5/25/2006
Ok, here's the list. This link is some blogpost in which the list is discussed, but if you scroll down, you can see the whole NR article and the complete list. As I suspected, this only works by a strange conflation of meanings of conservatism. A list of actually-libertarian rock songs would be quite different, but there would be some overlap. Here: http://scottpeterson.typepad.com/leftofthedial/2006/05/rockin_the_righ.html
Anthony Gregory - 5/23/2006
Unlike the Old Boss, he has God on his side, and should be trusted with the police state and warfare machine.
Aeon J. Skoble - 5/22/2006
Any dead-tree NR suscribers care to share the list, so we can discuss? Meanwhile, a thought on the very concept: looks like someone over there is blurring the distinction (again!) between libertarian-conservative and authoritarian-conservative. There's no shortage of conservative rock if you take a libertarianish, skeptical-of-government/authority view of conservatism. But that's not necessarily compatible with the other sense of conservative given by the author, or which NR typically operates under. Most of the best anti-government rock is either leftish or anarcho-libertarian. If NR is actually endorsing the Sex Pistols and the Clash, that'll be funny enough. If they endorse the explicit Randian themes in Rush, it'll be even funnier, since NR traditionally despises Rand. Someone please post the list!
- Kissinger Memo from 1972: Make the North Vietnamese think Nixon and I are crazy
- How Much U.S. History Do Americans Actually Know? Less Than You Think.
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks anger in Germany
- Expressing Outrage over Attacks on Cultural Heritage of Iraq, General Assembly Unanimously Adopts Resolution Calling for Urgent Action
- Isis Palmyra demolition has begun with ancient God Lion statue destroyed
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize