CHRISTIANS & JEWS TO WEAR YELLOW IN IRAN
A new dress-code law reportedly passed in Iran this past week mandates the government to make sure that religious minorities - Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians - will have to adopt distinct colour schemes to make them identifiable in public, the Canadian National Post reported on Friday.
Melanie Phillips points out that this is not the first time that such a demand was made by a Muslim country.
But what many may not realise is that the yellow star by which the Jews in Nazi Germany were branded has wider and deeper origins. Indeed, it started under Islam, when Jews living under Muslim rule in the eighth and ninth centuries were forced to wear first a distinguishing mark and then a piece of yellow cloth, variously a belt, a turban and a badge. This sign of ‘dhimmi’ status was subsequently adopted in medieval times in Europe and in Britain, where Jews were forced to wear a yellow badge.
The Nazi yellow star was merely the latest reworking of that historic global obscenity. Until now.
The story may be doubtful. Lots of updates to be found on hot air
An Iranian Armenian adds:
When I was in Iran 5 years ago, all Armenian (or non-Muslim) shops had to post a sign saying that they are Christian to warn Muslims buying food from them. Armenian were not allowed to teach Armenian language in Armenian schools during the official schools hours. Armenian was taught after hours....Also, Armenians are not allowed to hold any government jobs...so , no wonder Armenian population in Iran has decreased from 200,000 to as low as 50,000.....
Update can be found on Powerline blog.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"