CHRISTIANS & JEWS TO WEAR YELLOW IN IRAN
A new dress-code law reportedly passed in Iran this past week mandates the government to make sure that religious minorities - Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians - will have to adopt distinct colour schemes to make them identifiable in public, the Canadian National Post reported on Friday.
Melanie Phillips points out that this is not the first time that such a demand was made by a Muslim country.
But what many may not realise is that the yellow star by which the Jews in Nazi Germany were branded has wider and deeper origins. Indeed, it started under Islam, when Jews living under Muslim rule in the eighth and ninth centuries were forced to wear first a distinguishing mark and then a piece of yellow cloth, variously a belt, a turban and a badge. This sign of ‘dhimmi’ status was subsequently adopted in medieval times in Europe and in Britain, where Jews were forced to wear a yellow badge.
The Nazi yellow star was merely the latest reworking of that historic global obscenity. Until now.
The story may be doubtful. Lots of updates to be found on hot air
An Iranian Armenian adds:
When I was in Iran 5 years ago, all Armenian (or non-Muslim) shops had to post a sign saying that they are Christian to warn Muslims buying food from them. Armenian were not allowed to teach Armenian language in Armenian schools during the official schools hours. Armenian was taught after hours....Also, Armenians are not allowed to hold any government jobs...so , no wonder Armenian population in Iran has decreased from 200,000 to as low as 50,000.....
Update can be found on Powerline blog.
comments powered by Disqus
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Baton Rouge area Catholic school responds to student's racist essay about Black History Month
- How the ‘guerrilla archivists’ saved history – and are doing it again under Trump
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- New Book Says Bob Woodward Burned Hillary Clinton’s Ghostwriter
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit