Satchmo and Marijuana
In an article for HNN, L and P blogger Keith Halderman explores Louis Armstrong's pro-liberty views on Marijuana:
Armstrong maintained marijuana to be a thousand times better than whiskey and that it relaxed him while also keeping him clear headed. He pointed out that, though he smoked marijuana, during the entire forty-five years he had been blowing trumpet he had never let his public down, claiming that they had a reverence for each other.
comments powered by Disqus
Robert L. Campbell - 5/9/2006
I'm glad to see Keith Halderman picking up on the Louis Armstrong story.
According to one biography, Armstrong even wrote to President Eisenhower urging that marijuana be legalized.
Mark Brady - 5/4/2006
Keith has written a really good and useful article that I encourage you all to read. I know I shall be recommending it to people in the weeks to come.
- A grandmother’s trove of Civil War photos goes to Library of Congress
- Tribes See Name on Oregon Maps as Being Out of Bounds
- Holy Haystacks! Researchers Have Officially Discovered A New Monet
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library