Bellevue Puts on the Straight Jacket
"Take an Inch, and They'll Take a Mile." That's the title of a blog by King Banaian and it says it all. Banaian, of course, is summing up the response of administrators at Bellevue Community College in Washington to an incident in which a professor asked an idiotic math question involving Condoleezza Rice and watermelons. For more, see here.
Launching a major email campaign, outraged conservatives, including Michelle Malkin and Wayne Perryman, were able to take their"inch" by getting the professor sanctioned and exposed. The original controversy had a depressing aftermath, however, for those who value academic freedom and oppose indoctrination.
Creative administrators at the college seized on the incident to increase their power and to impose politically correct one-sided ideological diversity training for all faculty under Glenn Singleton, a paid professional"trainer." As Banaian notes, both Malkin and Perryman continue to ignore the ongoing and disturbing developments at Bellevue Community College.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 5/10/2006
Academic conservatives are more likly (at least to some extent) to appreciate the dangers posed by administrators on campus. Unfortunately, non-academics, such as Horowitz and Malkin, don't seem to particuarly care when it is pointed out to them.
Robert L. Campbell - 5/9/2006
I don't that most mass media types--conservative commentators included--realize that university administrators are a distinct interest group with a highly expansionist agenda.
Political correctness boosts the power of administrators, and is widely sponsored by administrators (particularly in the Student Affairs area, which has seen extremely rapid administrative growth over the past generation).
David T. Beito - 4/27/2006
Jeff Riggenbach - 4/27/2006
Bellevue Community College is in Bellevue. Bellevue is not part of Seattle. It is across Lake Washington from Seattle. It is the fourth largest city in Washington state.
King Banaian - 4/27/2006
as the saying goes, you just might get it. There is a substantial history of administrators using any incident to compel people into diversity camps. See for example http://www.discriminations.us/2003/09/uva_students_object_to_diversi.html Thanks for the link, David.
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy