Happy Birthday, Brenda!
Go here for all you ever wanted to know about her and more. Click on In pictures: The Queen—a public life and go to photos 7 (which reminds me of the David Hockney picture Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy) and 12. Elizabeth is the great, great, great, great—that's four greats if you're counting—granddaughter of King George III.
UPDATE. Perhaps Elizabeth II is Elizabeth the Last. Jonathan Freedland argues here that the monarchy is finished and Elizabeth could well be all that's keeping it alive. And scroll down for an evaluation of which royal does most for the republican cause.
comments powered by Disqus
M.D. Fulwiler - 4/21/2006
I wish she'd try to confront Tony Blair as he moves the U.K. towards a fascist dictatorship
John Richard Clark - 4/21/2006
The Prince of Wales will do to the notion of British monarchy what the Austin Powers movie series did to James Bond films---transform it into an unintentionally funny anachronism.
Aeon J. Skoble - 4/21/2006
Elizabeth the Last sounds good to me. Enough already!
- Rise of Donald Trump Tracks Growing Debate Over Global Fascism
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize