Michelle Malkin's Campus Crusade Backfires
Here's a story that provides a cautionary tale for those conservatives, like David Horowitz, who believe they can outwit their opponents on campus by fighting fire with fire.
In a classic Horowitz-style campaign, Malkin and other conservatives took up the cause of students who complained about an idiotic instructor at Bellevue Community College in Washington. The instructor had asked the following math question: "Condoleezza holds a watermelon just over the edge of the roof of the 300-foot Federal Building, and tosses it up with a velocity of 20 feet per second." Outraged conservatives around the country bombarded the campus with phone calls and emails.
The conservatives won.....but at what cost? Seizing on the controversy like a typical entrepreneurial college president, Jean Floten turned it into an opportunity to expand the power of the administration. While she sanctioned the idiot professor, even prompting him to request" cultural sensitivity training," her other changes will enable the campus diversity policemen to impose even more of their one-sided PC indoctrination on all students, staff, and faculty.
Promising to"to redouble" the college's"efforts to improve racial and cultural sensitivity," Floten announced more diversity training and the hiring new staff for this purpose. Most ominously, for those of us who believe in academic freedom, she said that Bellevue will add a diversity [err"pluralism"] component to"program review and employee evaluations." This looks like some sort of loyalty oath. Some victory!
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 4/14/2006
I'll trust you on this: I won't read Malkin except in dire necessity....
David T. Beito - 4/14/2006
Reading between the lines of her latest blog, I think Malkin knows this, however, she does not, and will not, openly admit it.
Jonathan Dresner - 4/14/2006
I love, in that ironic sense, the fact that the "solution" to this "crisis" is the bloating of administration (a new Vice President, no less!) and permanent training programs.
Pyrrhic victory at its finest.
- Kissinger Memo from 1972: Make the North Vietnamese think Nixon and I are crazy
- How Much U.S. History Do Americans Actually Know? Less Than You Think.
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks anger in Germany
- Expressing Outrage over Attacks on Cultural Heritage of Iraq, General Assembly Unanimously Adopts Resolution Calling for Urgent Action
- Isis Palmyra demolition has begun with ancient God Lion statue destroyed
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize