Michelle Malkin's Campus Crusade Backfires
Here's a story that provides a cautionary tale for those conservatives, like David Horowitz, who believe they can outwit their opponents on campus by fighting fire with fire.
In a classic Horowitz-style campaign, Malkin and other conservatives took up the cause of students who complained about an idiotic instructor at Bellevue Community College in Washington. The instructor had asked the following math question: "Condoleezza holds a watermelon just over the edge of the roof of the 300-foot Federal Building, and tosses it up with a velocity of 20 feet per second." Outraged conservatives around the country bombarded the campus with phone calls and emails.
The conservatives won.....but at what cost? Seizing on the controversy like a typical entrepreneurial college president, Jean Floten turned it into an opportunity to expand the power of the administration. While she sanctioned the idiot professor, even prompting him to request" cultural sensitivity training," her other changes will enable the campus diversity policemen to impose even more of their one-sided PC indoctrination on all students, staff, and faculty.
Promising to"to redouble" the college's"efforts to improve racial and cultural sensitivity," Floten announced more diversity training and the hiring new staff for this purpose. Most ominously, for those of us who believe in academic freedom, she said that Bellevue will add a diversity [err"pluralism"] component to"program review and employee evaluations." This looks like some sort of loyalty oath. Some victory!
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 4/14/2006
I'll trust you on this: I won't read Malkin except in dire necessity....
David T. Beito - 4/14/2006
Reading between the lines of her latest blog, I think Malkin knows this, however, she does not, and will not, openly admit it.
Jonathan Dresner - 4/14/2006
I love, in that ironic sense, the fact that the "solution" to this "crisis" is the bloating of administration (a new Vice President, no less!) and permanent training programs.
Pyrrhic victory at its finest.
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- In Hiroshima 71 years after first atomic strike, Obama calls for end of nuclear weapons
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize