The Boggled Mind
comments powered by Disqus
Irfan Khawaja - 8/4/2006
Nowadays, "LOL" has become a mere expression, but I really did laugh out loud on reading this one.
Oscar Chamberlain - 4/8/2006
Thank you for the explanation. I was having enough trouble pairing Ms. Hilton with Mother Teresa, but to have Lincoln join them while reciting poetry . . . .?
Ralph E. Luker - 4/8/2006
Ah, that would be "Lincoln on Suicide ...."
Ralph E. Luker - 4/8/2006
For whatever reason, brother Vogt chose Oscar's post "The Boggled Mind" as an appropriate place to put his own thoughts about a discussion that took place at my post, "Lincoln on Suicide ...." I posted that on 9 June 2004. Apparently, brother Vogt just got around to it and thought he'd set Oscar straight about it.
Edwin Justus Vogt - 4/8/2006
This poem ascribed to the authorship of Lincoln is untrue. To begin, the poetic statements run contrary to his own, spiritual beliefs as imbued to him by his saintly mother. The effects of Hell are no consolation to someone contemplating their end to life. The poet speaks as one without hope. Lincoln, even in his most despairing meoments, had the companionship of associates who rendered help when needed. The poet claims the knife is his true friend.
I find a complate absence of reason in the lines attributed to Lincoln. His mind was one of deliberation and thoughtfulness. The views expressed here in the suicide soliloquy are foreign to his way of observations. Though syntax and metre are in line with his structuring of a poem, this method is easily duplicated and was used by many poets. Too, we find no mentioning of the poem in Lincoln's lifetime. Surely a piece of such quality would have been recited to friends. There just is no evidence that Lincoln actually penned the composition. Because it satisfies some historians who tie the writing into a period when Lincoln suffered from melancholia,is no sure proof that he wrote those lines. In conclusion: there is no record indicating that Lincoln is the author.
Oscar Chamberlain - 4/7/2006
Be my guest!
Manan Ahmed - 4/7/2006
is this the place where I make my whore-madonna joke?
Rebecca Anne Goetz - 4/6/2006
I did LOL too. Then I SJAOTK (Sprayed Juice all over the Keyboard)!
Rebecca Anne Goetz - 4/5/2006
That totally made my day, Oscar. Thanks!
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- In a county that tried to amend U.S. history course, a lesson in politics
- Overhauling La Guardia, an Airport With a Historical Name but a Tarnished Image
- Now it can be told: The weakening of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is the crowning achievement of GOP partisans who detested the law
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success