Stanislaw Lem (1921-2006)
Additional information on Lem:
Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
comments powered by Disqus
Amy H. Sturgis - 3/30/2006
That's remarkable! Something in the water, indeed...
Amy H. Sturgis - 3/30/2006
You're most welcome. And you're right - that's a lot of books!
Aeon J. Skoble - 3/29/2006
Wow! Also, Lukasiewicz, Emanuel Ax, Wiesenthal... fascinating.
Roderick T. Long - 3/29/2006
Interestingly, Stanislaw Lem shares with Ludwig von Mises, theologian Martin Buber, actor Paul Muni, Leopold Sacher-Masoch (from whom the term "masochism" comes), Alexius Meinong (famous among philosophers if not otherwise), and a number of other famous people, the distinction of either being born in or having resided in the same town, a place variously called Lemberg, Lvov, Lwow, and Lviv, and variously located in Austria-Hungary, Poland, and the Ukraine, as borders shifted around it. Must be something in the water there ....
Tom G Palmer - 3/29/2006
Thanks for the info, Amy. I also enjoyed reading Lem as a youth. Thirty million books....whew.
Amy H. Sturgis - 3/29/2006
Kenneth R. Gregg - 3/28/2006
I loved Lem's magisterial vision of humanity and the universe in his novels when I was a teenager, and he would take me in directions that no other SF writer dared to, or could.
Where there were boundaries, he would take me through them. Many of the fans (and writers) in my generation took their cues from Harlan Ellison, Norton and Heinlein. Lem was more to my liking.
Just a thought.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity