Chuck Hagel vs. Neocon Numbskulls
Yesterday, I posted at Notablog a brief piece that cited a fine principle enunciated by GOP Senator Chuck Hagel:
You cannot in my opinion just impose a democratic form of government on a country with no history and no culture and no tradition of democracy.
Yeah. How 'bout that?
Read more of my mini-rant here.
comments powered by Disqus
Charlie Hinderliter - 3/30/2006
Democracy is as much about norms and principles as it is about institutions and elections. I think that Senator Hagel is right about this.
Also, I hope that Senator Hagel runs in '08. http://hagel2008.blogspot.com/
Chris Matthew Sciabarra - 3/25/2006
It will be very interesting to see how this pans out... I don't know what it will take for GOP candidates to win... if they are not beholden to the religious right.
David T. Beito - 3/19/2006
It will be interesting to see if Hagel gets any support in the primaries. I'd be tempted to vote for him.
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston
- History Department at Connecticut College deplores Facebook post on Palestinians
- Historians join other scholars in protesting Georgia's anti-gay legislation
- Homeland Security historian builds winning case against Salvadoran leader who oversaw crimes
- What Howard Zinn taught the students of Spelman College