TREACHEROUS SAUDIS: WE ARE HOSTING, NOT ORGANIZING BOYCOTT CONFERENCE
The Khaleej Times reported in September:
Saudi Arabia said on Monday it would deal with all members of the World Trade Organization (WTO) after its anticipated accession to the organization.
The brief comment by Trade and Industry Minister Hashem Yamani followed a US statement that Saudi Arabia had agreed to allow trade with Israel as part of a key deal with Washington setting the stage for Riyadh to join the WTO.
"The kingdom will deal with all WTO member states when it joins the organization, in keeping with WTO agreements," Yamani told the official SPA news agency.
According to international lawyers to act the WTO needs Israel to begin legal proceedings against the Saudis. The ambassador Levanon said that"as a new WTO member, Saudi Arabia 'should be more cautious' about its actions toward another WTO member." But an official complaint will have to follow, not precede, the conference.
WTO chief Pascal Lamy and Eirik Glenne, chairman of the WTO's ruling general council warned that Saudi Arabia should"not violate the rules of the WTO." And U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman also said that Saudi behavior"is a big concern of the United States, of course, because we worked with Saudi Arabia on the issue of their WTO accession."
The Saudi delegation to the WTO is difficult to reach.
comments powered by Disqus
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Islamist: Sorry I Wrecked Heritage Site
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton