"Blamed for more than 50 deaths in Russia, the cold wave claimed at least 13 lives in the past five days in the former Soviet republic of Moldova, where authorities said another 30 people -- many of them homeless -- were hospitalized with hypothermia.
". . .Parts of Austria felt more like Siberia, with the mercury plunging well below zero. The bitter cold hit an all-time low of minus 24 degrees in the lower Austria town of Gross Gerungs, while in the beer-making town of Zwettl, it was minus 12 -- the chilliest Jan. 24 since 1929." (AP)
Cross-posted at Free Association.
comments powered by Disqus
David Lion Salmanson - 1/27/2006
Actually, if you look at the early predictions of global warming models is that all weather would be more extreme. So this fits the model just fine. But then again that's science and bashing global warming theory is um, well, let's say it out loud together shall we, ... politics.
Sheldon Richman - 1/26/2006
Of course, there is the new theory that global warming is causing less warm tropical ocean water to travel north to Europe. I'm not making this up!
Max Schwing - 1/26/2006
the hottest year ever, at least, if you can believe the daily news :)
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history