"Blamed for more than 50 deaths in Russia, the cold wave claimed at least 13 lives in the past five days in the former Soviet republic of Moldova, where authorities said another 30 people -- many of them homeless -- were hospitalized with hypothermia.
". . .Parts of Austria felt more like Siberia, with the mercury plunging well below zero. The bitter cold hit an all-time low of minus 24 degrees in the lower Austria town of Gross Gerungs, while in the beer-making town of Zwettl, it was minus 12 -- the chilliest Jan. 24 since 1929." (AP)
Cross-posted at Free Association.
comments powered by Disqus
David Lion Salmanson - 1/27/2006
Actually, if you look at the early predictions of global warming models is that all weather would be more extreme. So this fits the model just fine. But then again that's science and bashing global warming theory is um, well, let's say it out loud together shall we, ... politics.
Sheldon Richman - 1/26/2006
Of course, there is the new theory that global warming is causing less warm tropical ocean water to travel north to Europe. I'm not making this up!
Max Schwing - 1/26/2006
the hottest year ever, at least, if you can believe the daily news :)
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"