"Blamed for more than 50 deaths in Russia, the cold wave claimed at least 13 lives in the past five days in the former Soviet republic of Moldova, where authorities said another 30 people -- many of them homeless -- were hospitalized with hypothermia.
". . .Parts of Austria felt more like Siberia, with the mercury plunging well below zero. The bitter cold hit an all-time low of minus 24 degrees in the lower Austria town of Gross Gerungs, while in the beer-making town of Zwettl, it was minus 12 -- the chilliest Jan. 24 since 1929." (AP)
Cross-posted at Free Association.
comments powered by Disqus
David Lion Salmanson - 1/27/2006
Actually, if you look at the early predictions of global warming models is that all weather would be more extreme. So this fits the model just fine. But then again that's science and bashing global warming theory is um, well, let's say it out loud together shall we, ... politics.
Sheldon Richman - 1/26/2006
Of course, there is the new theory that global warming is causing less warm tropical ocean water to travel north to Europe. I'm not making this up!
Max Schwing - 1/26/2006
the hottest year ever, at least, if you can believe the daily news :)
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea