Happy Spooner Day!
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R. Gregg - 1/23/2006
Thanks for the link to Barnett's essay. I like this in his conclusion:
"Reading all three hundred pages, one is struck by the herculean nature of Spooner's endeavor-indeed by its similarity to what Ronald Dworkin argues that Hercules, Dworkin's hypothetical judge, ought to do: construct a set of principles of justice that both explain and justify the constitutional text at hand in such a way as to render it consistent with all other texts recognized as authoritative within this legal tradition."
"Spooner Day" should be an international libertarian holiday!
Tom G Palmer - 1/22/2006
Thanks Ken! The date is now added to my calendar as a recurring holiday.
I'd also note the recent article by Randy Barnett on Spooner's theory of constitutional interpretation:
And also his response to Spooner in his book "Restoring the Lost Constitution."
Tom G. Palmer
- Niall Ferguson says it's no surprise Trump's so popular
- Howard Zinn group backs move to "Abolish Columbus Day"
- Ted Widmer appointed director of John W. Kluge Center
- What Historians Are Saying About the First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Princeton professor documents the movement that ended single-sex education at elite schools