Happy Spooner Day!
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R. Gregg - 1/23/2006
Thanks for the link to Barnett's essay. I like this in his conclusion:
"Reading all three hundred pages, one is struck by the herculean nature of Spooner's endeavor-indeed by its similarity to what Ronald Dworkin argues that Hercules, Dworkin's hypothetical judge, ought to do: construct a set of principles of justice that both explain and justify the constitutional text at hand in such a way as to render it consistent with all other texts recognized as authoritative within this legal tradition."
"Spooner Day" should be an international libertarian holiday!
Tom G Palmer - 1/22/2006
Thanks Ken! The date is now added to my calendar as a recurring holiday.
I'd also note the recent article by Randy Barnett on Spooner's theory of constitutional interpretation:
And also his response to Spooner in his book "Restoring the Lost Constitution."
Tom G. Palmer
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history