Was the "World Turned Upside Down" at Yorktown?
comments powered by Disqus
Jason Kuznicki - 1/14/2006
What that article says about early modern tunes and titles is certainly accurate in general.
I encountered this sort of thing all the time in my own 18th-century research, as it was very common then to take a familiar tune and give it new or newsworthy lyrics. This was done in part to spread news in a time when newspapers were rare or illegal, and when people were often illiterate.
At times, even the idea that "a" tune had "a" set of lyrics often seemed to fall by the wayside, at least in France, where I did most of my work. One tune was simply called "Now Listen to My Song," and I've seen perhaps hundreds of different verses set to this single tune, decade after decade. Each new set got a new lyrical title.
But, performed without any lyrics, a marching tune would just have its tune title to go by, so additional lyrics supplied to a tune wouldn't ever qualify. They were usually just too many to matter.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges