AHMADINEJAD AMBUSHED BY BALUCHI SUNNIS
One of the bodyguards of Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was killed and another wounded when an attempt to ambush the presidential motorcade was thwarted in the southeastern province of Sistan and Baluchestan, according to a semi-official newspaper and local residents.
“At 6:50 pm on Thursday, the lead car in the presidential motorcade confronted armed bandits and trouble-makers on the Zabol-Saravan highway,” the semi-official Jomhouri Islami reported on Saturday.
“In the ensuing armed clash, the driver of the vehicle, who was an indigenous member of the security services, and one of the president’s bodyguards died, while another bodyguard was wounded,” the newspaper, which was founded by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, wrote.
By the way, the Sunni-Shia mutual discrimination is one of the reasons for the long tantrum thrown by the Iraqi Sunnis after the fall of Saddam. It is also the reason that once a constitution guaranteeing minority rights passed, the Sunnis understood that they would do best under a democratic system. They may not dominate the country but they would be able to play a vital role in it.
comments powered by Disqus
- Pittsburgh native David McCullough's next book will focus on generations of Northwest pioneers
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton