Analogy as Prediction
comments powered by Disqus
Nathanael D. Robinson - 12/14/2005
Considering conservatives are fond of prognosticating the enduring weakness of the EU on the basis of "not having gone through a Civil War like the US," why should it not be logical, if the US is a normative model of nationalization, that a civil conflict should erupt in the future before the Iraqis can become a united people?
Manan Ahmed - 12/13/2005
Also, Ronald Reagan, "the mujahideen are the moral equivalent of the founding fathers of Afghanistan" about the Mujhadeen [later taliban]...
Greg James Robinson - 12/13/2005
No, he is part of a long tradition of Presidents using reference to the American revolution as a way to suggest that a repressive regime deserves American support. Please see, for example, Lyndon Johnson, "Diem is the George Washington of South Vietnam"; and Ronald Reagan, "The contreas in Nicaragua are the moral equal of our Founding Fathers"
Nathanael D. Robinson - 12/12/2005
Interesting. Does that also mean that Bush is saying that Iraq will need substantial assistance from foreign militaries in order to achieve their democracy?
Rebecca Anne Goetz - 12/12/2005
Agreed, but I think part of it is also the (unsavory) American habit of idolizing our founding era and its participants. It's a natural analogy since most Americans think of our founding as a blessed, providential event. I could be overreading Bush here, but I detect overtones of that sentiment in his speeches as well.
Jonathan T. Reynolds - 12/12/2005
I suspect his goal is to suggest that contemporary Iraqis are forging a fledgeling democracy, as were the early citizens of the US.
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- How China and the U.S. might collide — or not
- Major Viking Age Archaeological Find Discovered in Denmark
- The New York Times celebrates biographer Richard Holmes
- Historians are in demand! (On cruise ships)
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”