SECOND THOUGHTS ON SHARON AND ISRAEL
Whatever happens, Mr. Sharon has now proved himself as the most astute Israeli leader since David Ben-Gurion, the country's founder. So much for hysterical predictions made about him in other newspapers when he was first elected. Rare among politicians, he is a secure man. He may yet bring security to Israel, too.
He will try but his solution will necessarily be temporary. Israel's ultimate security will always lie in its people and its leadership. It is important to recall that David Ben Gurion was Sharon's mentor. Those versed in Israeli politics cannot but note that, when all said and done, "Kadima" is just an updated version of Ben Gurion's "Mapai." But Ben Gurion famously focused on something that Sharon has not."The old man" carefully trained future leaders to replace him. Dayan, Peres and Sharon are the most famous of those"youngsters."
The failures of Rabin and Barak proved that the army may play an important role in Israeli leadership training but it is most insufficient training. In his biography, The Warrior, he describes how Ben Gurion made 19 year old Sharon sit by his side during policy discussions. So, its time to ask Sharon, if not now, when? Israel needs nothing more than a well trained young leaders.
"How did we forget that Israel's story is the story of the West?" asks Charles Moore. I did not but than I had an unfair"advantage." I am a child of holocaust survivors who grew up in Israel. I was shocked to discover how quickly the world has forgotten.
comments powered by Disqus
- Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins
- Now Austria Says It Will Likely Redesign Hitler's House, Not Tear It Down
- Some looted Idlib National Museum artifacts resurface, fate of others a mystery amidst ‘thriving black market trade’
- Is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau constitutional?
- Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"
- Conservative historians against Trump sign a petition warning he'd be dangerous
- Benjamin H. Irvin Named OAH Executive Editor
- Historian Diana Ramey Berry praises effort to return the skull of Nat Turner to his family