Who Said This?
"The essential task of government is defense of the social system not only against domestic gangsters but also against external foes. He who in our age opposes armaments and conscription is, perhaps unbeknown to himself, an abettor of those aiming at the enslavement of all."
Click below on Read More for the answer.
Ludwig Von Mises, Human Action, Chapter 15.
comments powered by Disqus
Vince Daliessio - 11/30/2005
I believe that Mises underestimated the willingness of the average man to take up arms to defend home and hearth. Not every leader of the time believed this, see Admiral Yamamoto's assertion that "You cannot invade the United States mainland. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
Stephen W Carson - 11/28/2005
This is discussed in Ralph Raico's "Mises on Fascism, Democracy, and Other Questions". The unfortunate answer seems to be "yes"... In a John Stuart Mill "liberal imperialism" way. http://www.mises.org/journals/jls/12_1/12_1_1.pdf
Sergio Alejandro M?ndez - 11/25/2005
It is true that Mises supported British imperialism?
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity