Right to Privacy: It's already there
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 11/22/2005
One reason why some opposed the bill of rights is that they guessed (correctly, it turns out) that "if we specify some, future generations will think we meant those are the only ones we have." The 9th is meant to stave off that interpretation, and still didn't work. Stipulating a right to privacy might then be pyrrhic victory. In any case, I took him to be conceding the no-constitutional-right-to-privacy point when we made fun of the penumbras.
Charles Johnson - 11/22/2005
Did Savage claim that there isn't a right to privacy in the Constitution? As I read his column, he seemed to be saying that whether there is one or not, it's a matter of dispute and that the dispute could be settled unambiguously by adding an explicit amendment protecting the right to privacy. And further that it would be politically advantageous for supporters of the right to privacy to do so. But of course you can believe that while fully believing that the constitution already recognizes the right to privacy.
(You could make a similar argument that the whole first section of the 14th Amendment merely makes more explicit what any reasonable reading of "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government" in Article IV Section 4 would demand; but that it was helpful, ca. 1868, to pass an amendment in order to make sure to settle a particular dispute over the kinds of state governments that white Southerners could get away with imposing.)
- Some Places Are Celebrating A Different Holiday On Columbus Day
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich