Thus Always to Tyrants?
comments powered by Disqus
David Nicholas Harley - 11/14/2005
The death of Henri IV made France a significantly more rigorously Catholic state than it was while he reigned.
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 11/14/2005
Depending on whether 10 years is long enough, and granting considerable oversimplification, the judicial assassination of Johan van Oldenbarnevelt (1619) accomplished the goals of the Contra-Remonstrant party in The Netherlands. Dissent was widely suppressed, the threat of continued peace was averted, rigid Calvinist theologians arrogated the application of the positive label "orthodox" to their ideas only, etc. etc.
Jonathan Dresner - 11/14/2005
What comes to mind first and foremost are the various "Restoration" coup attempts in Japan in the 1930s, mostly at the hands of relatively young highly nationalistic and militaristic officers. These plots never succeeded in overthrowing the government, as such, but they did contribute considerably to the sense that civilian leaders needed to go along with military priorities or risk facing the wrath of radicals within the armed forces. This was particularly important in determining China policy, which of course led to Pacific policy...
Andre Mayer - 11/14/2005
The problem with this question, it seems to me, is the "long term goals" criterion -- assassination isn't, after all, a long term strategy, whatever the ultimate program behind it. It's at least arguable that the Rabin assaassination has "worked" so far, but of course that's not long enough.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity