INTIFADA SPREADING TO ARHUS, DENMARK
These are riots focusing on a newspaper and that is perhaps the reason the Danish editors make sure the world does not hear about them . Thanks for the blogsphere we have the Viking Observer to translate the local paper for us.
Rosenhøj Mall has several nights in a row been the scene of the worst riots in Århus for years."This area belongs to us", the youths proclaim. Sunday evening saw a new arson attack.
Well, we moved from the notion that Muslim majority regions like the one in Southrern Thailand and the Phillipines must be controlled by Muslim. Now, urban districts with Muslim majority are to be controlled by Muslims.
As a 1996 Fulbright fellow teaching at Arahus University, I know the place. Muslims were living in a kind of Ghetto even then. The problem of integration is real but violence merely serves to justify prejudice and the excuse is untenable.
comments powered by Disqus
Carsten Agger - 11/2/2005
First of all, a linguistic observation: The "center" (as we call it here) in Rosenhøj is hardly a "mall" by any definition, but a longish, low building containing a small off. license, a pizza bar, a vegetable/fruit shop, a baker and a bingo hall. Nearby is a bar and a gas station.
Secondly, the riots here (I speak as a resident of the very area you mention) are hardly a question of "Muslims wanting to be in charge". The perpetrators were actually a mix of youths from various backgrounds, most from immigrant (mainly Muslim) families, but also many Danes. None would, I guess, be considered "good Muslims" by any standards whatsoever. This is really a story more about exclusion, unemployment and poverty than anything else.
And so, it wasn't motivated by cartoons anyway; even though some of the young ones may have mentioned the infamous cartoons as a lame excuse for arson, violence and wanton desctruction.
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- CIA: “Pinochet personally ordered” Letelier bombing
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history