"Iraq, its People and its Resources..."
"'Some observers also claim that America would be better off by cutting our losses and leaving Iraq now'," he said. 'This is a dangerous illusion, refuted with a simple question: Would the United States and other free nations be more safe or less safe with Zarqawi and bin Laden in control of Iraq, its people and its resources?'"
So now we know why we're fighting: "to control Iraq, its people and its resources."
Something tells me Iraqis would prefer neither of us to control their resources... But since we're engaged in what the President describes as "a war for the 21st century" against a bunch of "premedieval" (Tony Blair's words) religious fanatics who are "living in the 7th century" (US Marine spokesman) and want to create a new "Islamic caliphate" stretching from Spain to Indonesia (Pres. Bush) I guess we have no choice but to stay put in Iraq, on top of all those people and their oil, until the 22nd century, by which time there will be no oil left and we can leave.
comments powered by Disqus
James Blake - 11/14/2005
You can leave, but not before launching strikes against Iran and Syria, who might launch missles against Isreal at a later date... or maybe NY. That`s why the US has a WAR President.
Ricardo Luis Rodriguez - 11/2/2005
Well, you may know why we're fighting better than Bush and the Iraqis, but that wisdom doesn't come from the statement quoted.
The assumption you make, that if it is not Zarqawi and bin Laden to control Iraq it is the USA, would sound, I suspect, somewhat offbase to millions of Iraqui voters. That "something that told you" that they would prefer neither of us to control their resources must have been the last two elections.
But of course I know you must be right about the oil and sitting on top of those people, I mean, just look at Kuwait. Or perhaps we should let the UN handle it, like they did Rwanda, where they promptly left, or Kosovo, where I hear they are just about to leave.
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history