Brazil Says Yes to Gun Rights
comments powered by Disqus
William J. Stepp - 10/26/2005
I thought you once said you're a libertarian, or at least a classical liberal?
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws (and the State) will have guns.
That's not a society that promotes liberty, safety, or responsible actions by anyone.
Ralph E. Luker - 10/25/2005
I have no answer for you in specific, individual cases and it is true that crime generally occurs only in specific, individual cases. On the other hand, if we are talking about shaping a culture of law and order, the banning of private ownership of guns strikes me as a very positive step in that direction.
Lisa Casanova - 10/25/2005
What would you have them do? I had a Latin American studies teacher who told us stories of the Brazilian favelas, places where poverty is rampant, crime is terrible, and the police simply don't go. It's fine to say guns should be banned and the police will protect everyone, but there's no protection coming for the people who live there. Yes, they have a horrific crime problem. But when the police can't or won't protect you, how does a gun ban make things better, or the absence of one make things worse?
Ralph E. Luker - 10/25/2005
This will do so much to reduce the horrific rate by which Brazilians are killed by other Brazilians!
William J. Stepp - 10/24/2005
Will _The Economist_ ("Protecting Citizens from Themselves," Oct. 22: "A 'No' vote would be a setback for public safety") do a mea culpa?
Don't hold your breath.
It did allow that Brazillians urged their countrymen to defend themselves, because the government will not.
The subtitle of the article is "Gun control is saving lives in Brazil. Voters will now decide its pace."
Paging John Lott Jr. to tell them the truth.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- Shelter and the slums: capturing bleak Britain 50 years ago
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history