Mind Your Own Business, Mr. Bush
comments powered by Disqus
Sergio Alejandro M?ndez - 10/25/2005
It is unbelievable that something in this world will make ME take sides with George Bush. The autor of this post cannot distinguish from an advise like "please, try to conserve gasoline", from coertion "You will conserve gasoline o we will force you to do it". What if the advise came from a non govermental entity? Isn´t part of the market the right to express your ideas even in the form of advise?
On the other side, I am not sure that the market logic concerning the use of gasoline really works. Have americans actually decided to consume less gasoline even if it is more expensive? Doesn´t seem so, but of course, the only way to know is to test it down, on the streets and highways. Finally I find a bit silly when the author says that Bush idea contributes to nothing good except "that it further accustoms people to the idea that one’s personal life is to some extent a public matter." Of course there are aspects of people lifes that are private, and only private. That hardly means there arent others (many) that have public consequences and require you to assume responsability. And that has little to do with a "collectivist" mentality (I wonder sometimes if "collectivist" actually means something on libertarian jargon). Human society is dependent on living colectively and you don´t have to be an statist to believe it.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges