Lysander Spooner Honored
Kudos to Randy Barnett at the Volokh Conspiracy for his successful efforts to to get a historical marker placed outside the house in Athol, Massachusetts where Lysander Spooner (1808-1887) was born (see above).
Spooner excelled as a libertarian abolitionist, entrepreneur, and political theorist. He is one of my heroes. Randy also deserves praise for putting together a wonderful website which provides a wealth of information on Spooner's life and writings.
comments powered by Disqus
William Marina - 10/22/2005
Kudos to Randy.
It occurs to me that Randy ought to push for Spooner to be nominated for the Supreme Court.
When Ch'in Shih Huang-ti died, the Court Mandarins tied him in a chariot and paraded him around as if alive. When the corpse began to stink a bit, they tied a cart of fish behind to suggest where the smell was coming from.
Lysander dead, would be a better symbol of the legitimacy of the Constitution than many of the recent nominees to the Court.
Could Washington, DC, smell any worse?
Kenneth R Gregg - 10/21/2005
Thanks for mentioning this, David.
Spooner was one of the best American libertarian theoreticians (if not THE best). I like to go over Barnett's Spooner website from time to time, not only for all of the letters that he has put online, but also to see what else he has added. Now he also has added Spooner's brilliant "Law of Intellectual Property." When I got "Spooner's Collected Works" after it first came out many years ago, I went through every essay. Each is a true masterpiece.
There are several essays, such as "No Treason," that every libertarian should read.
Just a thought.
Sheldon Richman - 10/21/2005
Spooner is a big hero of mine too. Bravo, Randy!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948