Greetings, Liberty-Lovers & Power-Skeptics
In my"day-blog", I can be found over here at a little place called RAGGED THOTS, where I might be found ruminating"on politics, race, pop culture, sports, comic books & various other sundry temptations of the human condition." For more, see here.
As a further introduction, please check out the copy of my pre-election conscientious objector essay from a year ago on why I couldn't vote for Bush's re-election. In light of recent developments, I'm happy to say that it pretty much holds up. Qualms over civil liberties? spending? and the administration's inability to hold officials accountable for screw-ups? Yep, yep and yep.
Indeed, the"lack of accountability" aspect is a big problem. I am frankly less concerned about how a Justice Harriet Miers would rule on so-called"social issues." Wwhat gives me shudders is the now- preferred pro-Miers talking point is that she will essentially be a rubber-stamp for the executive branch.
How else should we read this characterization by RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman in a conference call with GOP-leaning bloggers?"Judicial activism is interfering with the GWOT by 'micromanaging' decisions. Miers will be solid on executive prerogative." (Admittedly, this is Steven Bainbridge's live-blogging of Mehlman's comments, but I have no reason to believe that they are being mischaracterized.)
Indoctrinating the"principles" of the GWOT onto the Supreme Court. Wonderful.
While we're on that topic -- this would be a good question to ask Miers in a possible confirmation hearing:"Miss Miers, do you believe the Court should"defer" to executive prerogative or -- in the words of now-Chief Justice Roberts -- do you believe that the Supreme Court should be like an 'umpire' and not play favorites?"
Everybody should pay attention to whatever her answer may be.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 10/16/2005
Removed at request of the poster. 12-14-05.
Robert A. George - 10/14/2005
Or, you could have just clicked on "nameless." <g>
Jonathan Rick - 10/13/2005
Removed at request of the poster. 12-14-05
Kenneth R Gregg - 10/13/2005
And a hearty welcome to you, Robert! After about a month and a half of kidney problems (I won't bore you with the details), so am I.
Cheers to you,
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"