BACK WITH EYES WIDE OPEN
When his brother was a young child, his father took him to visit the Lubavitcher Rebbe. The Rebbe asked the child if he know the Shma (Here O 'Israel the Lord our God, the Lord is One). The kid said yes and after some hesitation he recited it. The Rebbe told the father to teach the kid to recite it with his hand covering the eyes (the way women recite the blessing for the Sabbath Candles). The father told this story in a prayer service held after thirty days of someone's death, in this case, the child's. Sometime, the only way one is able to go on praying is with eyes closed to reality.
This past year was filled with such unbearable times. So, along with others, I covered my eyes and prayed for the strength to go on with eyes wide open. For there is no other way to fight the natural and man made evils which are confronting us.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"