BACK WITH EYES WIDE OPEN
When his brother was a young child, his father took him to visit the Lubavitcher Rebbe. The Rebbe asked the child if he know the Shma (Here O 'Israel the Lord our God, the Lord is One). The kid said yes and after some hesitation he recited it. The Rebbe told the father to teach the kid to recite it with his hand covering the eyes (the way women recite the blessing for the Sabbath Candles). The father told this story in a prayer service held after thirty days of someone's death, in this case, the child's. Sometime, the only way one is able to go on praying is with eyes closed to reality.
This past year was filled with such unbearable times. So, along with others, I covered my eyes and prayed for the strength to go on with eyes wide open. For there is no other way to fight the natural and man made evils which are confronting us.
comments powered by Disqus
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- CIA: “Pinochet personally ordered” Letelier bombing
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history