Marijuana Does Not Cause Insanity
Szalavitz does a very good job of exposing the extremely dubious science backing the government's tired old unverifiable claims. For example she points out that while rates of cannabis use skyrocketed in the 1960s and 1970s "schizophrenia rates remained virtually constant over those decades." The same reasoning can be applied to driving fatalities, which declined, and any number of other arguments for marijuana's status as a society destroying drug.
Also, the author tells of something encouraging that happened at the press conference initiating the operation, "While the launch was attended by a former director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the current occupant of the office, Dr. Nora Volkow, did not attend or speak, nor did her deputies. This is unusual: The National Institute on Drug Abuse is the federal agency responsible for scientific research on the medical effects of drugs, so a campaign about marijuana's health effects would ordinarily feature at least one top representative discussing the science. The agency's name does not appear on the list of organizations endorsing the ad."
When we consider the above and the action taken by Susan F. Wood, assistant FDA commissioner who resigned her position over unwarranted interference in agency decision-making concerning a new contraceptive, perhaps, we are witnessing the beginning of a needed trend, researchers rebelling against the constant subordination of scientific fact to politics.
Hat tip to Richard Lake.
comments powered by Disqus
John Chapman - 9/22/2005
Why be concerned whether marijuana causes insanity? The amount of carcinogens in one marijuana cigarette equals about one cigarette pack full of carinogens.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't